Living Life As...

The Simmons Six

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 4...Highs and Lows

Travel buddies at the golf course!

Travel buddies at the golf course!

Yitayish at the golf course


Today began as our other days in Ethiopia began. We had a nice breakfast and savored EVERY moment of the Ethiopian coffee. The cups are so little but the coffee is STRONG.

Shawn and I had very heavy hearts as we prepared for the birth mother meeting. I was filled with so many worries and fears, some rational and some completely irrational. Our meeting was not until 12:30 pm and I can honestly say that this was one of the longest mornings that I have ever experienced. We sat in the hotel lobby trying to look at peace but in truth, I was anything but at peace. The kids became bored and fidgety but there was little to do but wait.

At 12:10, we began the walk to Hannah's Hope. Tewodros had wanted the kids to wear their traditional Ethiopian outfits. When we opened the gate, we saw that she was there waiting for us. I won't share details. This is for the kids to do if and when they decide to. I can tell you that for ME, a birth mother meeting with older children is difficult...point blank. I wonder if it creates more uncertainty and insecurity in little fragile heads. I felt sad for Tewodros.


After our meeting, we lightened the mood by having lunch at a BEAUTIFUL golf course. The food was good, the conversation was good, and it was exactly what I needed.

Later that night, we ventured out AGAIN for a traditional Ethiopian meal. There was incredible music and DANCING that was WONDERFUL! Seble was so tired from the day that she spent most of the night in my lap asleep. Yitayish and Tewodros FEASTED and their little bellies paid for it later. Of course, the highlight for all of us was Abraham Gresham dancing and grooving to the music. That man can get DOWN!

We returned to our hotel late at night and I can honestly say that I actually fell right to sleep.

3 Comments:

At May 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...What a pretty picture of Yitayish!!! She has GREAT eyes! My thoughts were with you, Shawn and mostly the kiddos the day of the meeting. When I heard you had to do that my heart was filled with fear for all of you but they must do it for a good reason. Hopefully for T it showed him that he was finally going to a home full of love. Can't wait to meet them this weekend!

 
At May 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM , Blogger C said...

I know your days in Ethiopia will always remain in your heart even the sad day. I love that you ar enot sharing what when on with their birth mother its good for them to be able to have something that is all theirs (even if it hurts a little). I can't wait to hear more about your trip!!Praying for your family.

 
At May 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM , Blogger The Gresham Clan said...

Thank you for sharing this day w/ us Megan! I'm sorry I haven't gotten a chance to email back - life is crazy as you know!!! I'm totally praying for you guys and that you were able to get out this weekend!!! I'll email you today or tomorrow and go more in depth, but just wanted to drop a quick note and let you know I'm praying for you guys - all of you!!!

Kristin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home