Living Life As...

The Simmons Six

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The first 13 days...the good, the bad, and the ugly

Silly faces!

Mommy and her girls

All my kiddos!

So...the kids have been home for almost two weeks! In some ways, it seems much shorter (like we were JUST in Ethiopia) and in some ways it seems like they've been with us much longer.
Overall, we are doing well. We are having our share of adjustments. I can honestly say that NOTHING could have prepared me for becoming a Mommy of one to a Mommy of four overnight. At times, it is incredibly overwhelming. It seems like SOMEONE is always acting up, pouting, crying, or into SOMETHING. Here are my general observations:
1. Tewodros is doing very well. He is definitely missing Hannah's Hope and FRIENDS. He spends most of his day with four year olds, a two year old, and a 31 year old. I think he is DYING to just PLAY with an eight year old boy. He will be starting ESL summer school on June 20th and he REALLY needs it.
He loves Braeden. He loves to play soccer. He is trying to learn English but is not as interested as I would have hoped. He seems bored ALOT. I find myself always looking to please him which I know is probably unrealistic. He LIKES to holler at the girls ALOT. This is something we are working on!

2. Yitayish (a.k.a. Waverly) is doing great! She is sweet, has an infectious laugh, and is VERY mischievous. She seems to be adjusting GREAT. I think she is very happy and content. She likes to fight with Braeden. They have made me nervous with each other because they will go into COMBAT with eachother. She will repeat English words but that is about it for now. Her hair is my PROJECT. She is beautiful, sweet, and for now pretty easy.

3. Seble (a.k.a. Riley) is my little drama queen. She is MOODY, MOODY, MOODY. She sulks ALOT. She smiles the rest of the time! She loves to play with Yitayish (who SOMETIMES chooses to play with her.) She listens very well. She LOVES to tattle. She tattles ALL day long. I have NO idea what she is saying but she is tattling...believe me. She LOVES to eat. She will not be my skinny minny for long! Haha! She repeats..."I love you So much."

4. Braeden is happy when he has Mommy's attention. He follows me EVERYWHERE. He doesn't like to share toys, LOVES to wake up and see the kids, and LOVES to sit on, jump on, and ROUGH HOUSE with the girls. We are working on this! He is more of a big boy everyday. I look at him and think..."Oh, my baby. Where are you going to."

Did I mention that the girls LOVE to fold wash! I'm NOT kidding!!

Daddy's girl

Sweetie pies

Yitayish in the tent

My Teddy

Braeden's method for keeping his toys...hiding BOWLING pins in this shirt...Also check out that he is wearing a GIRLS hat!

10 Comments:

At May 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can send the girls over here cause I have tons of wash to fold! LOL, love the pics. I talked with Melinda about T coming over to play with Alex & she would love him to come over, I'll call you with all the info.

 
At May 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM , Blogger I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Glad to see another update and pictures. Bless your heart, four is alot and three who are trying to adjust to a whole new world-literally-can be very difficult! Aleena displayed many of the behaviors your girls did, and really loved folding laundry. I was so blessed to have her sleep well right from the beginning. Do the kiddos sleep well for you? I bet you are one tired mommy. I pray God sends little blessings to you throughout the day to keep you going! Please remember to email if you need anything!
eyesonchrist@comcast.net
Smiles,
jen in MI

 
At May 30, 2008 at 5:54 AM , Blogger A Team said...

WOW!
I am so amazed at what your family is going through right now.
They are precious!
I know that your days have to be hard...
Thanks for the update!
PLEASE KEEP US POSTED!!!
congrats on them being home!!!
SO SWEET!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 6:30 AM , Blogger Amy said...

The children are beautiful. I am sure you must be exhausted, but so happy at the same time. I know going from one to two kiddos took its toll on me! I can only imagine what it is like to go from one to four. Just know that in time...it will all feel good and right! Feel free to e-mail me anytime if you need anything (I don't know how much I can do here in IL, but I can try)!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 9:15 AM , Blogger John and Heather said...

WOW! That's all one can say! You are a very busy lady! I know that my life has changed dramatically since the boys came home; your right there would of been no way to prepare yourself for what you are facing each and every day!! Know that I think of you often and pray for your adjusting family! I also say that there are good days and better days...never knowing exactly what kind of day I will face when I wake up:) God sustains us and rewards us, for that we can be thankful!

Blessings to you!!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Toni W said...

Glad to see everyone home and happy. Seble sounds just like Eyob he is even smiling or sulking. Tell your kids Eyob says HI!
Toni

 
At May 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM , Blogger obligato said...

OKAY, they are really the most beautiful two girls i have ever seen! i just cant get over it! so so so gorgeous. Thats what I felt when i saw them for the first time. They just keep getting more beautiful! Thanks for posting. keep them coming. Oh and Tewedoros...how adorable. I am loving the pics. it must be so hard. I pray blessings for you and rest! you are amazing meagan!!! love seeing pics with you in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Maria and Family said...

Huge Congratulations on having ALL your kiddos home ! I have been following your story, while I have been starting my own Ethiopian adoption. We too have a guat tot :)
Maria

 
At May 31, 2008 at 8:11 PM , Blogger The Gresham Clan said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the update!!! It makes me miss you guys even more!! I read all of the updates to Tom and we got some really good chuckles! All of your kids are just gorgeous and I love their personalities even though they can be challenging at times :). Too funny about Braeden hiding his toys - I'd do that too :). We'll chat over email soon. You're AMAZING Megan - you really are!!!! Thanks for the update, love hearing about how you guys are doing!! Talk soon...

K

 
At June 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and keeping up with your blog post-travel. I love your brief synopsis of the kids. It is so helpful to see how the transition is. I can't imagine being an overnight mother to three MORE children!! So happy that you are all together finally!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home