Living Life As...

The Simmons Six

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The long road to good bye...our FINAL day in Ethiopia

Our final day of Ethiopia was one filled with tremendous emotions.

We awoke to MORE cold showers but piping hot coffee! We then travelled as a group to Enat Elam. We left the children behind as we were going to the Mother Theresa house afterward.

Enat Elam was a very important experience for me and Shawn. Our children spent six long months there and I needed to see it for myself and for them. The children were beautiful. We gave out candy, stickers, little cars, and balls. I wanted to cry the entire time. I didn't feel happy or blessed...I felt helpless and sad. These children need SO much. It left me aching inside. I held Shawn's hand as we left and kept telling myself that I had to be strong because I was MEANT to experience this day.

We then went to the Mother Theresa House. As we toured, I felt overcome by emotion and fear. I again felt so small and powerless. As I looked around at death, illness, poverty, disease, I sang in my head OVER and OVER...
"Be not afraid...I go before you always. Come. Fall me and I will give you rest."
It just came into my head and I could not stop singing it to myself. At the last leg of the tour, I walked back to van where Kristin was and just started to cry. It was too much for me.

We then returned to the hotel to shower and change and all I could think about was my kids. We returned to Hannah's Hope and got ready for one last shopping trip. We again boarded the vans and spent a few hours shopping and relaxing. I got some beautiful treasures and it felt good to relax. I saw a little boy that I had seen at the shops on Tuesday. He began to beg and I again began to feel overwhelmed. I waited until we were walking back to the van and I gave him food and money. I just didn't want to turn my back anymore.

When we finally returned to Hannah's Hope for the LAST time, we said our good byes. It was hard for Tewodros. It broke my heart for him. We then returned to the hotel and busily packed, ate dinner, and prepared to travel home. The kids kept screaing, America, and I felt giddy. America, yes, America!

We boarded the vans for the last time at 6 pm and said our good byes to Almaz. What a women...there are NO words.
I felt tired, excited, and overwhelmed. We settled into the airport terminal and waited for our flight. All of the families seemed tired but ready for the new journey in their lives.

As many of you know, the flight brought the emergence of CHICKEN POX all over my little Seble. I initially thought it was hives from stress. But, Oh, NO, Chicken Pox which would become my arch nemesis for the next ten days.

We landed in D.C. FINALLY after a LONG trip from Ethiopia with many trips to bathroom. Yitayish LOVES to pee. Haha.

America...we're here, guys. Mommy and Daddy will be your tour guides. I hope we do a good job.

8 Comments:

At May 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The past (good & bad) will always be a part of the kiddos because they would not be who they are without it but they ALL have a great future ahead of them! They are such special little guys and our family is very lucky that they have now joined us. Looking forward to seeing our kids bonding together & forming friendships because in the future they will be able to count on each other. Thank you for bringing Braeden, Yitayish, Seble & Tewodros into my life!!!!

 
At May 27, 2008 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Murphy Momma said...

Megan, you have me in tears again. I can remember our trip to Mother Teresa's so vividly that I can smell it. What a difficult day and what a blessing to know that God sees and loves every one of those poor people. "whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me". It is amazing how you can love HH and feel such happiness and peace there then walk into Enat Elam or MT's and feel so hopeless and sick at the incredible needs around you and the sheer numbers involved. God bless Almaz and God bless Ethiopia, they have changed me. Sharon

 
At May 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM , Blogger The Gresham Clan said...

Every moment of reading this I got chills. This was such a difficult day, but as you say, SO important. I remember every feeling that you have described and it still breaks my heart. Thank you for sharing Megan - it is beautiful and so powerful!

How are the kids feeling? Are the pox gone? Abraham's still holding out, but we've got another week and a half before we're in the clear - praying for NO chicken pox!! Miss you... Talk soon...

Kristin

 
At May 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HEARD about the chicken pox!! Oh man, that must have been so tough!!

I can't thank you enough for posting your thoughts and reflections. Loved reading them.

 
At May 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Michelle Riggs said...

I loved hearing your families story. I can't wait to read about how they are doing now.

Sami says "hi"

 
At May 28, 2008 at 7:06 PM , Blogger A Team said...

WOW...

How is it going now?
Chicken pox... yucky!
I hear there is an outbreak at HH. I guess that is where they picked them up. BLESS YOUR HEARTS!

I would love to hear how they are doing with you guys. I am sure it has been quite the transition.

I had the same experience at Enat Elam. I cried my eyes out because my boy had been there - a short time... but I wanted to kiss that man who runs it because I was so thankful for how he cared for the kids. We went to both of the Enat Elams... I'm thinking your kiddos were at the one we went to first.

Ted went to Mother Teresa... I stayed at HH and helped the Special Mothers. He came back with tears in his eyes.

Loved reading about your journey

 
At May 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that sounds like an incredibly tense day. at least they're home now! and if anytime you want a new image header of your whole new family just have shawn send me the image or something.

 
At May 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god they are so cute. the wash picture is hysterical. I CANNOT wait to meet them tomorrow. I have presents!!!!!!
Love Jen and Erin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home